Maybe you’re looking for a healthier treat that won’t undo all your hard work at the gym or a simple dessert for the family that doesn’t take hours of prep. This recipe can be altered to suit your own needs, most of the ingredients are pantry basics and the fruit can be changed according to what’s in season. You can also mix in berries and seeds for extra flavour and nutrition.
Usually I will use apples or fresh rhubarb but in this case I used a large tub of frozen rhubarb from Aldi. Already cut and washed, making the preparation easy! All of the ingredients are available at Aldi and Tesco.
So let’s get to it!
For the recipe you will need:
4-6 stalks of Rhubarb or 4 large Cooking Apples
2- 3 cups Gluten- Free Oats (regular if you don’t have gluten sensitivity)
2 cups of Ground Almonds
¾ tsp of each Spice (Cinnamon, Nutmeg and Ginger)
¾ cup Coconut Oil or Dairy free butter
¾ cup Brown Sugar or Coconut Sugar
Optional: 1 tsp Vanilla Extract for extra flavour
1 cup Gluten-Free Flour for a fluffier crumble
Making the Crumble
Prep: 10 minutes Oven: 25-30 minutes
1. Preheat oven to 180° c for fan oven.
2. Wash and cut Rhubarb in 1-2cm chunks and put into an oven proof baking dish. Mix your spices and sugar into the Rhubarb. Add 2 dessert spoons of cold water over the fruit and put into the oven for 10 minutes to bake. (If you’d rather your rhubarb softer, you can simmer it in a pot for 3 minutes and skip pre-baking it)
3. Mix the oats, ground almonds (and flour if you are using it) and a sprinkle of cinnamon.
4. Melt the coconut oil (or dairy free butter) in the microwave for 5-8 seconds (Vanilla Extract can be added for additional flavour) and pour onto dry ingredients. Use a fork or your hands to separate and mix the crumble.
5. Put the crumble mixture on top of Rhubarb and bake for 25 – 30 minutes. Once golden brown, remove and let cool or eat warm!
Serve with warm Alpro custard or warm crumble with vegan ice-cream.
Let me know if you make it!